Log In | Contact Us| View Cart (0)
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Record Groups

Bessie H. Rose (Three-mast schooner) (1883-1892) | Maine Maritime Museum Manuscript Collection Online Catalog

Name: Bessie H. Rose (Three-mast schooner) (1883-1892)


Historical Note:

Bessie H. Rose (Three-mast schooner) was built in Wiscasset, Maine in 1883 by John Barker. The vessel was owned by J. Manchester Haynes of Augusta, Maine. The Bessie H. Rose hailed from the port of Bath. Captain John A. Adams was shipmaster of the vessel from 1883 to 1889. Captain Wellington O. Sawyer was shipmaster from 1890 until the vessel wrecked in January 1892 on the banks of Bimini Island, Bahamas when he was master.           

Captain Wellington O. Sawyer with a crew of nine men and a cargo of phosphate rock was bound from Navassa Island for Baltimore, Maryland on the Bessie H. Rose (Three-mast schooner) when suddenly caught up in heavy gales in December 1891. Cargo was thrown overboard in attempt to lighten the vessel. The crew continued to struggle with gales and heavy intake of water. Eventually, the vessel wrecked broadside into the banks of Bimini Island and was stranded in January 1892. All cargo was lost from the schooner. The vessel was declared a total loss on January 18, 1892. The captain and entire crew were saved. Captain William S. Weech of the Charles Tunnell (Schooner) was allowed to strip the vessel for parts at the wreckage location.






Page Generated in: 0.129 seconds (using 107 queries).
Using 8.99MB of memory. (Peak of 9.1MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-1
Copyright ©2012 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign